Thursday, June 21, 2012
I made this many weeks ago but finally managed to upload the recipe. Another nice cake for tea to go with your hot cuppa or simply bake this when you receive an invitation to a friend's place and am sure it will be a delight to the host!! First you have to make the caramel, then proceed with the preparing of the cake. Its not difficult but it has got an extra step compared to making other tea cakes which is preparing the caramel first.
Here's the recipe:-
160 gm butter
140 gm caster sugar
160 gm flour
40 gm almond powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
50 gm walnut (chopped)
For the caramel:-
60 gm caster sugar
20 ml water
60 gm fresh cream
20 ml fresh milk
Some apricot jam for glazing
To prepare caramel:-
1. Put sugar and water in a pan under medium flame until sugar crsytalised and browning.
2. Add fresh cream and milk and mix quickly. Set aside.
To prepare for the cake:-
1. Grease baking tin and line with parchment paper.
2. Sieve together flour and baking powder, set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
4. Add the caramel mixture and mix well.
5. Add eggs one at a time and beat till fully incorporated.
6. Add vanilla essence and mix well.
7. Add almond powder.
8. Fold in the flour mixture.
9. Add the chopped walnuts and mix well.
10. Pour into prepared baking tin and bake in a preheated oven 180C and bake for 45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
11. Remove from pan and glaze with apricot jam and deco with some walnuts if you desire (optional).
Happy baking all :))