Monday, September 14, 2009

Pineapple Tarts


I first make pineapple tarts when I was small...helping out Mak in the kitchen each year for Hari Raya until I could do it myself when I was 12. Since then, it has been my chore to prepare cookies for Raya. I still remember those days, kena parut nenas tu dan masak jem atas dapur minyak tanah and berjam-jam lamanya....mana nak jaga api lagi....aduh mak. Really, at that time it was really hard to make cookies unlike nowadays. Those days we dont have electric oven not even gas oven. We only used a small oven using kerosene stove. The tray that could go into the oven perhaps could only bake 10-12 pieces of cookies....can you imagine how long it will take to finish baking a kilo of dough....

When I was 16, my anties started asking me to make tarts for them, by this time my mom already bought a gas oven for our home...and at that time hmmm....got money coming in for duit raya and before I started my own family that's part of my ritual during fasting months...to prepare raya cookies for my family members.



ni tart yang kawan-kawan kat sini order for raya this year.

Here's the recipe:-

Pastry

1kg flour
550 gm butter
3 egg yolk
1 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
1 teaspoon caster sugar (optional)
cold water

Method:-

1. Sieve flour, salt and sugar together.
2. Using a butter knife, cut the butter into the flour, then rub the butter until it becomes bread crumb using your fingers.
3. Add egg yolk and mix well.
4. Add cold water bit by bit and make a dough.
5. Let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes before rolling and cutting.

Pineapple Jam

3 bowls grated pineapple
1 bowl sugar (as you like - adjust to your taste)
a pinch of salt
4-5 clover (optional)
1-2 drops of yellow colouring (optional)


Method:

1. In a wok, put everything together under medium flame.
2. Stir every few minutes until it becomes thicken and all the water evaporates.
Note: Of course you may add more sugar if you like your jam to be sweet and in case the pineapple is not so ripe and sour.

1 comment:

  1. nampak sedap jer tart tu...tolong courier cikit ke malaysia..hehehe.
    so authentic gitu...yummy :)

    ReplyDelete