Saturday, May 15, 2010

Raisins/Orange Peel Cake



I recently signed up to do a Fondant and Gum Paste course here. I finished my Course 1, 2 and 3 in the Land of the Rising Sun. Since this is the final course offered by Wilton, I thought I might as well do it and be done since I love spending time baking and also to perfect my decorating skills. Didnt realise that the arrangements and things provided by the school differs from each country. In Nippon we were provided with the real cakes or the dummy cakes but here we have to bring our own.
With a very short notice to prepare for my 2nd lesson which falls on the next day, I didnt want to let my disappointment dampened my learning spirits. Wanted to try making sugee cake but sad that I dont have the ingredients in my kitchen and it was too late to rush to the supermarket. Wanted to make dark chocolate cake...didnt have cocoa powder at home....sigh.
What I found in stock was some raisins and orange peel. I actually bought the dried orange peel to make my orange bread. What am I to make.....aaarghhhhhhhh. Lucky, mother taught me how to make steam mix fruit cake before. I used the same method accept no mix fruits and orange sunquick this time.

Woke up early that day and manage to make a cake. What shall I call this ..... Steam Raisins/Orange Peel Cake?? Thank God, it turned out okay considering it was made in a haste and with whatever little ingredients I had at home. Brought my cake and was only taught to lay the fondant on it and I just topped it with the 2 carnations I made the day before during my 1st lesson. Blind me...........cant tell how disappointed I was that day!! Was expecting to be able to deco the cake better but no appropriate tools was provided. But anyway.....on the bright side, yes another cake for the family and my other half just love it.


My Raisin Cake, the original look before the covering fondant, dont know why I cant rotate this picture...

Here's the recipe

Ingredients:-
300 gm caster sugar
300 gm plain flour
3 large eggs
180 gm butter
250 gm mixed dried fruits ( i used raisins and orange peel)
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup water

Method

1. Heat pan and add 150 gram sugar and let it caramelised. Once sugar turn brown add water and let it boil until the caramelised sugar become syrup. Remove from pan and let cool.
2. In a bowl, sieve flour and add the dried fruits. Put aside.
3. Beat egg white and bicarbonate soda until foamy. Add the balance of 150 gm sugar and beat till stiff. Add yolk one at a time. Mix well.
4. In another bowl, cream butter till light and add the egg mixture mixing well.
5. Add the vanilla essence.
6. Add the flour mixture and using cutting motion mix ingredients well.
7. Last, add the sugar syrup and fold in the mixture.
8. Pour in a round 8 inch mould that has already been lined with baking paper. Cover with foil and steam for 2 hours in a preheated steamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment