Thursday, April 16, 2009

Muesli Bars



The original breakfast cereal called muesli — a German word meaning "mixture".

I stumbled into this recipe while browsing thru a magazine at one of the bookstore. Foreign magazines are quite expensive in Japan and usually I will spend sometime at the bookstore and flip the magazines for free and will copy down any recipe that catches my eyes......hahaha I know its terrible but just cant help it. Here you go..... so different from the original recipe (since I don't have dried apricots, sesame seed, desiccated coconut, wheatgerm) I just put in whatever I have in the kitchen.

Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds or chopped pecans
1 1/2 cup cereals (any kind)
1/2 cup raisins
125 gm butter
3/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 cup brown sugar

Method:-

1. Grease and line 9 x 13 " pan with baking sheet.
2. In a small saucepan melt butter and honey under medium heat until well blended and do not let it boil. Stir in the vanilla
3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, cereals, sliced almonds and raisins. Stir well to blend and set aside.
4. Pour the melted butter into the bowl and mix until everything combines.
5. Pour the mixture into pan and press down firmly.
6. Bake in a preheated oven 325F for 35 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let it cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in an air-tight container.

Note: I did not put sugar as I dont want it to be sweet but the original recipe has sugar in it. Basically, you can put anything you want or you like in it as long as you have 5 cups of your own mixture and just mix them with melted butter & honey. These bars are perfect for breakfast on the go or for a healthy snack anytime.






No comments:

Post a Comment